Together we can reveal and dismantle the foundations of abusive teaching in Yoga.
Uma Dinsmore-Tuli is back on the podcast to talk about her latest initiative; The Yoni Shakti Movement.
Their crowdfunding campaign is now complete and they raised way over target, so this campaign is going ahead!
We Talk About:
- The overt and covert ways women are abused in Yoga
- What enables covert abuse to happen and how it can be woven into the very fabric of yoga teacher training
- The culture of ‘by-standerism’, bullying and normalisation of abuse
- Corrections, being lined up like soldiers and everyone doing the same thing at the same time
- Devolving power of our bodies to people outside of us – where a woman’s body or cycles get in the way of the yoga practices
- How women of colour are treated and the yoga stereotype of skinny, white, rich yogi (nothing wrong with that, but that is what’s widely promoted).
- How our own shame of menstruation is keyed into and twisted.
How Do We Weed Out The Disempowering Teachings In Yoga?
- Hear the voices of the survivors and allies
- Talk about this in a safe space and get support
- If everyone knows about it, then the perpetrators have nowhere to go
- Be educated to see and understand bystander culture
Uma has put together:
- Womb Manifesto
- 13 Warning Signs
- 9 Calls To Action
What We Can Do Practically
- Read the campaign kit and get it to your local yoga teacher
- Share information in the Yoni Shakti Movement Facebook Group – so we’re building a living network so that we actually have each others backs!
Basically, if we’re all in this together, if we all talk about this with each other, then this can no longer carry on!
ABOUT OUR GUEST – UMA DINSMORE-TULI
Uma Dinsmore-Tuli PhD is a writer, visionary, radical yogini, eco-feminist activist and Total Yoga Nidra advocate.
Practicing yoga since the age of four, and teaching since 1994, Uma is a yoga therapist certified by the International Association of Yoga Therapists (CIAYT), with special expertise in yoga therapy for women’s health.
She is a mother of three, and has written four books on yoga, including the massive and highly influential Yoni Shakti.